Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thank You for my Socks, and for Salvation.


One day, when I was attending Living Light School of Worship, we spent the morning praying and thanking God for things in our life instead of our normal musical worship time. Many words and breaths were dedicated to the gratitude of salvation, the Holy Spirit, being saved, etc -- and rightly so! Thank You, GOD, that You saved us from an eternity without You.

...But I remember really just wanting to thank God for my socks. I love socks, especially Christmas socks! I don't remember which ones I was wearing that day, but it always made me sad looking back on that morning, and wishing I'd just thanked God for what I wanted to thank Him for instead of thinking, at age 18, I needed some profound prayer.

Spencer always tells me one of his favorite things about me is how excited I get about small things in life. Though, its something I think I've subconsciously learned to suppress in myself, because a part of maturing meant I had to offer smiles instead of squeals -- as if signs of overcoming delight was childish and should be outgrown. However, the other day, I listened to a teaching about the pleasures God gives us (http://teaching.onechurchministries.com/?p=930.) We weren't designed to eat only to gain energy, but we were given taste buds so we could go crazy with joy over our sushi and burgers (and to protect us from harmful things, of course)! God called for festivals and celebrations! He gave us oceans so we can swim around like mermaids, and stars to have picnics under!

I don't think God just wants us to live our days, He wants us to love them! That morning 6 years ago, I think God would have been just as touched with my thankfulness for my socks, as he was for my friends' thankfulness for new life. What if we lived everyday like a child soaking up each gift given to us!

My prayer today:
Thank you God for my sushi my husband blessed me with. Thank you for a stellar grande-caramel-mocha-add-a-shot frappacino! Thank you for the SNOW! Thank you for good music! Thank you that you made me with the ability to smell, and I LOVE the way the candles in my house smell! Thank you for joy and for cozy blankets and silent nights.

Thank you I was made to love, and not just to live!

Amen.

1 comment: