Thursday, December 17, 2009

Perfectly Lonely...or not.


So, I popped onto Blogger to post about a certain subject, only to find out one of my good blogging friends had already posted about a very, very similar topic. It's not really that ironic, but more so comforting. We all go through similar things, and often it seems at similar times. I like this, we are but dust (Psa 103:14), and I'm glad we're all little dust mites together.

So...remember how not too long ago I was ALL excited about not caring about life plans for the FIRST time in my LIFE. Well, last night I felt this carefree/trusting God attitude slipping away from me. Now, don't get me wrong-it was not in a sudden 'in the blink of an eye' moment that this occurred; there have been a few events leading up to it. Assassins coming in (must know John Mayer's songs to understand this reference, which I do not care to explain currently), Christmas movies telling you its time to find the mistletoe, cold weather weather wishing you snuggle on the couch and for me personally: Cute little pre-school holiday shows with adorable families dressed in red and green. In fact, this is what got me last night. I was at my 3rd Holiday Show for Webby (dance company I work for), and I was watching the families interact. The mom's were so cute in their winter coats and their little girls with curled hair. The dads looked so proud as their sons screamed Christmas Carols from the stage at the top of their lungs.

And then, it all came rushing back to me...the thoughts of wanting a family, and wondering when the heck this was going to occur. Stressing about what year I'll get married and how this will fit into my current plans, and then how old I'll be when I begin to have children, yada yada yada yada. And look, I know this makes me seem like the candidate for the re-making of "How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days"-but this is how my mind works! ...Except it hasn't been like this for a couple of months, and now its trying to creep back in! I won't let it happen! I will pump myself full of anthems such as "Miss Independent" and "Single Ladies" (joking).

However, I did want to re-visit the verses that completely changed my view on my time of singleness. It's a GIFT of time to be care-free and have an undivided heart:
....oh this is long-let me go Biblegateway this bad boy:

1 Cor 7:32-35
I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs—how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.


Okay, so this is an AWESOME time of life I have, and I don't want my singlehood taken up with thoughts of marriage. I desire marriage, boy oh boy do I-but I'm single and I actually AM excited about...so let's live it out, eh? A single life serves no purpose if your heart is undivided in the way a married woman's heart is, yet I think this is very true for many, many singles. Our minds run to the idea of marriage, and the boy/girl it could be with, the plans we must make and the goals we wish to achieve with marriage in the forefront of our mind. It's not God's intention for this time (don't entangle yourself in what God hasn't asked us to-2 Tim 2:4). My eyes, heart, mind, soul and spirit will be FIXED on God-I want to make the most of this time, not just walk with my head down waiting for the days to pass.

For now, I'll keep the romance for the poets.


Over and out.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE

    (that's me wishing blogger had a 'like' button, only for this entry i'd wish there was a 'love' button hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that picture seriously cracks me up!!!

    ReplyDelete