Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Smell the Roses

I decided to write down my favorite insignificant details of my days. Here's my compilation of the week.

Sunday:
While working the closing shift for Caribou, a girl wearing a shirt straight out of the Spice Girl's Movie (white, belled out sleeves, and a perfect triangle view of her stomach revealed) came in with a pie. She sat at a table with another guy for a while, joking and laughing as many coffee-date couples do. At the end of the night she kindly offered me a piece of her home-made apple and cranberry pie. I accepted. I felt dangerous and alive, because of course-this pie could be made of apples straight off of the Wicked Step-Mother's Farm, and I just don't know what prince is out there to save me from my comatose sleep. However, rest assured folks...I ate some pie, and I survived. Taking baked goods from a stranger: check.

Monday:
a.) It's raining outside, and the dreariness from outdoors has carried itself into my class. However, when I look over at the young man answering the Professor's question in my Pol Sci class, he's wearing sunglasses. It's raining. It's dark. He's wearing sunglasses. Longish hair, a big fleece jacket, 90s jeans, and terrible 80s sunglasses. Good ol' Wisconsin.
b.) Taking place again in Caribou, some regulars of ours: Terry and Terry come in. A couple in their mid 50s, 2 Northern Lite Caramel Lattes. Terry (the guy one) shows us pictures of him on a cruise, paying $20 to drink a shot of his favorite liquor (he chose Crown of course) with, GET THIS, an amputated toe in the shot glass. If you let the toe touch your lips, you get a certificate. Who wouldn't complete this task for your own piece of paper to hang on the wall? I mean, really...

Tuesday:
a. I need to make a sitcom of the special helpers I come to know through my girlie expeditions to the gas station. I often put air in my tires, aaaand...let's face it, I need my dad because I seem to fall short in these handy-man, do-it-yourself areas. And women who are all-powerful and have conquered such duties, don't judge me. I could probably put together an award winning Punky Brewster outfit in a matter of seconds. No one will get that reference, *sigh*. Anyway, on this special Tuesday, a man who wore a sleeve of tattoos on both arms and a few more as a scarf for his neck approached me. I saw different languages, women's faces and words I'm not sure I wanted to understand. He graciously took the air pump out of my hands and did his thing with his special air-measuring tool. It was at this moment, I decided I should start taking pictures of the different men who offer help in these situations, because their range from Mr. Roger's to drug dealers on the corner is quite amusing....
b. Fall arrived on this day. Only in one tree; One red tree in a seemingly endless row of towering and dancing green trees. All the leaves twirled on their way to ground, and the one crimson dancer seemed to laugh as if it knew a secret of what was to come, a secret the other trees had to yet to hear.

Wednesday:
I made eye contact with a stranger at school. It made me realise what great lengths I go to avoid eye contact with people I don't want seeing into these two green windows of mine. Somehow, there is something so massively different than looking at someone, and looking into the eyes of someone.

Thursday:
a. I saw sunglasses kid in the hall. He's still wearing his sunglasses. It's still not sunny.

b. My philosophy professor went on the rant of a lifetime. How he jumped onto his soapbox, I am unsure... We were just explaining a rather small assignment of a 1-page paper in response to a philosophical theory. I wrote down a couple of my favorite quotes.:
"Most of you are not going to graduate."
"If you marry someone, you either go up or down. You marry up, or you marry down."
"You aren't going to be a classical pianist unless you were playing from the age of five. Be realistic, there's a Chinese boy who has been forced to play since he was five."

Friday:
a. I saw a large cat on the front porch. He looked like Socrates, if Socrates was a cat. He peered at me with judging eyes, but I bet he was just pondering the mysteries of the world and of himself, so I didn't take it personally.
b. Sunglasses kid was in class today. No sunglasses.

Saturday:
I drank a "Susie" for the first time. 2 Shots Espresso, a splash of Half&Half, and white chocolate. God bless coffee shops.



Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment