Monday, November 23, 2009

A Spoon Fed Generation

"Here comes the train, open wide!!! Chug a chuga-chuga-chuga-chuga, chug a chuga-chuga-chuga". Do you remember this from when you were two-years-old? I do, and I'll never forget it either because my sister every so often likes to not only remind me of her creative ways to help feed me, but wants re-enact the scene as well. (Don't worry, she's having a kid in a week or so, so I feel the days of her asking me to suck my thumb and call her 'sissy' will soon be over with).

Unfortunately for my generation, I feel the spoon fed toddlers have now grown into the spoon fed 20somethings of America. We've been spoiled, given trophies for being on the absolute worst soccer team in the league, and taught curriculum based only upon hopes of passing our multiple choice standardized test. This environment can so easily breed pride, as well as the inability to process and reason through ideas and thoughts. We are given information we often learn to simply regurgitate back. We forget to take the steps of questioning, weighing and challenging what we're told whenever its presented in an intelligent and "shiny" way.

Sadly, the Church can so easily fall into this as well!

The first time I realized this true of myself, I was 18 (maybe 19? Close to it if not..) and sitting in Cadillac, Michigan. Scott Goodwill (a teacher within the stream of churches I belong to) was teaching us on the subject of Eschatology, which is the study of end times (in the Biblical sense). He taught all 4 views giving no opinion. Scott presented the history of the views and the Biblical backing each group provided for their stance. It was as he continued deeper into each of the four ways of thinking that I began to see what I'd always accepted as truth of how Jesus was coming back was found NO WHERE in scripture. The word its categorized by is not even a real word, and its made-up word is absent from the Bible. Also, the scriptures used to support its argument mean something completely different when the verse is read in its proper context.

As Scott continued to teach, anger was rising within me!!! Really, my heart was pounding and my body was getting hot, and I remember blurting out "I'VE BEEN LIED TO MY WHOLE LIFE!". I was suddenly outraged at every Bible Belt bumper sticker explaining to me why their car had no driver, only a set of clothes in the seat...I wanted to burn books and movies that scared me growing up...

I'd been lied to, I was a victim of false teaching.

However, God so quickly spoke to me in this time. I'd been presented with what some believe as truth. A topic was presented to me, it was questioned by no one around me, and it sounded good. It sounded like truth. Therefore, I accepted it. ..But where was my responsibility in taking on this mindset? I never thought to judge it according to the Word of God. I never researched in the Scriptures for myself; I never prayed asking for wisdom concerning the subject. I was told to believe, and so I did. I believed another man's belief. I opened wide to a spoonful of whack ideas, and ate them. I didn't think twice. I might of been "lied to" if I wish to be dramatic and rude about it, but I accepted it without question.

That week of classes radically changed my mindset in approaching future topics. No longer did I ever accept what anyone told me unless I spent time praying and researching in the Bible for myself to see if what was taught was Biblically sound. Even if an argument by someone I think to be amazing has scriptures up the wazoo, it is my responsibility to go look for myself to truly have my OWN God-given revelation.

This past weekend, the young adults of my church were gathered together to discuss a movement that is effecting the American way of church. As we continued to discuss their books, teaching, comments, exc-I wondered why our teacher (again, Scott Goodwill ironically enough) had made a point to have us set aside a Friday night to talk about such things. So, I asked, and he replied something to the effect of he wished for us to learn to not take all things we are told on board; to judge according to the Word (when I say "the Word"-I always mean the Bible, fyi!). I gratefully and humbly accepted the reminder.

However (I say this honestly and at the risk of much criticism...) I felt some might of walked away with only half of the idea. Let me explain: Scott Goodwill is one my favorite teachers, by far. I trust what he says, I trust his knowledge of Greek and Hebrew, and the incredible education he's received on numerous subjects. He's gifted by the Holy Spirit with awesome intelligence and wisdom into the mysteries of God-I trust him. I trust him, however, I did not feel we needed walk away from the night wishing to take Scott's ideas as our own, but Christ's ideas. In numerous talks I overheard or participated in after Friday night, I heard Scott referenced and hardly ever scripture or the person's own knowledge of the subject was given. It just didn't sit well with me. While we (and we should) trust and love what the leaders of our church say, it won't become our own revelation or our own mindset until it is TRULY known by us. I want my OWN revelation on truth in Scripture! It was Scott's role to teach me and equip me so I can now teach others. He did his job, I must do mine. He taught, I listened. It mustn't end there. I need to spend time before God asking to hear from Him! I need to learn the verses and find wisdom in them myself! ...And if my desire is for strong opinions like Scott concerning the movement in the American church myself, I need to read up and study these men. You won't sway any man saying "Well, my church leader told me ". (Just so you know, I'm not pointing anyone out, or assuming everyone is this way. Also, I'm not saying every person I've spoken with over the past couples of days struggles with this-only pointing out what I saw, and how I wish for myself and others to stray away from it).

I hope this doesn't come off as negative or accusing. I admittedly, can so easily fall into this as well. I just want inspire us to be KNOWERS of God's Word! Let us experience Knowledge thats changes the knower! ...Not mere listeners of good teaching. Our church leaders give us AWESOME teachings and truth, but God doesn't want it to stop there. We must always judge and weigh according to his Word, and then allow His Word to penetrate our hearts in new ways through our personal time of chewing and meditating on what we've now learned.

Our food has been placed on our plate. We must use our big-kid knifes and forks to cut it apart and feed ourselves. I want to live this, I want US to live this. I really do...

Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. Good call.

    I feel like I have more I'd like to say to you regarding all this. But I don't want to leave it in a comment box. Don't worry though--I'm totally with you!

    We should try to get together sometime after Thanksgiving.

    Love you!

    And I love that you even though it was such a passionate, serious topic you ended it with "over and out" :)

    ReplyDelete