Saturday, March 27, 2010

Confession: I don't want to read my book for Book Club

The book club I created for my 52 Weeks Project is reading 1984 by George Orwell. It seems to be great book, judging by what I've read so far, not to mention its ability to remain in every day conversation as well a highschool reading lists. However, I've run into a problem. I've shut off my brain. I suppose I've jumped from the Tin Man to the Scarecrow? God spoke to me about my heart and I've been up in arms (what does expression even mean?! Up in arms? Reminds me our 2nd Amendment right to Bear Arms, which I do stand by, fyi. I mean, if its in the Constitution by which our country was founded on why are we trying to take it away. Go start a new country if you don't like what the US was created to be. Whoa-bunny trail. Bop it on the head). Alright, so I've learned I must use my heart, and in my extremest-self nature I've opted to shut off my brain to focus solely on the heart! Therefore, to maintain my comatose state I haven't wanted to read the book I chose for our book club. Instead I've read Fitness Magazine, People, and a charming book a friend is letting me borrow (entertaining and heart wrenching, but not all that intellectually challenging). I don't want to think, I simply don't want to use my mind.

I've heard a few times that in the Bible the words "heart" and "mind" are interchangeable. Now, I haven't researched it for myself, and come to think of it - I can't even remember exactly who has said it even.... But let's assume its factual. Heart and mind, mind and heart. One in the same, really? Well, I suppose if God in self-breathed Scripture doesn't mind flip-flopping between the two, it can work? So, this equates through my thought process the two either work together or are one-in-the same. I don't believe they are the identical, each clearly have their own special function and communication. However, working together? Yes, I see it. My heart knows and gains revelation, and my mind follows. Or my mind knows and sees truth, and waits for my heart to align. Why, I suppose I've experienced both of these before!

Then there's this verse that is worthy of looking further into (as all verses are):
Matthew 22:36-37
Some guy, apparently a lawyer, asks Jesus, "Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
Jesus hits him back with this response, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind."

I should love with my mind? Well, my mind does love knowledge I guess. And my mind loves truth and revelation. My heart loves these things as well, but since my heart isn't a tablet to be read and factually analyzed, my heart goes deeper and farther in God. It can know in a different way than my mind can know. Oh, but my mind can understand and search and ponder in a way my heart is not able to! Yet, they are both working together for the common good of Jesus Christ! Interchangeable, a heart knows and a mind knows. They love, seek truth and learn.

God's been bringing me to Eph 3:14-19 a great deal in the past week. It talks about being rooted and grounded in love, then telling of Paul's hope that we grasp the width and depth and height and so on of His love. To grasp a concept to me is to connect and understand with the mind. It's when we are able to say, "I understand Your love, God". Paul ends this tidbit though by praying we know the love that surpasses all knowledge. Again, translated in the Sarah-speak, I shall say "the love that surpasses my mind." So, my mind needs to grasp these concepts of love, but I shouldn't stop it at my mind...Instead, I add onto what the mind can perceive a heart thats knows a love that surpasses my knowledge.

It's beautiful, really. God didn't make us robots to function as computers with only facts and wisdom, nor we are tossed back and forth by dangerous emotionally led lives. We have both, knowledge-based minds and emotion/revelation based hearts. Oh, the harmony.

Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. I like your thoughts. Much like how the trees bridge the earth and sky. Simultaneously gripping the soil and reaching elegantly towards the sky. We, as God's, do the same, because don't we need both to survive? Oh, the harmony. :)

    It's funny because maybe it's a challenge for you to love God with your mind, but maybe a bit easier to love him with your heart? Well, I on the other hand find it easy to love God with my mind, because as I look around and investigate how he created all of this it amazes me so much. All of the laws, attractions, emotions, they are all science...and it's easy for me to see those things and be like..no way that's awesome. I seriously get excited about that kind of stuff. But loving him with my heart..well..a bit harder for me, I'll be honest. Anyhow, best to you and keep writing. I find your thoughts pretty interesting.

    oh..and if you don't want to read 1984 you can always listen to the audio book while jogging or something. So much less time consuming.

    ReplyDelete